AT&T Reports 3.2 Million iPhones Activated, $3.2 Billion Profit in Third Quarter
Wireless carrier and exclusive U.S. iPhone provider AT&T reported third quarter results of $3.2 billion on revenue of $30.9 billion in the third quarter. The company also reported the following details including over three million iPhone activations:
- $0.54 diluted EPS compared with $0.55 for the year-earlier third quarter and $0.54 in the second quarter of 2009.
- 2.0 million increase in total wireless subscribers — highest third-quarter net gain in the company’s history — to reach 81.6 million, up 6.7 million over the past year; 1.4 million retail postpaid wireless net adds in the quarter.
- Best-ever third-quarter postpaid wireless subscriber churn of 1.17% and record-low total subscriber churn of 1.43%.
- Postpaid wireless subscriber ARPU (average monthly revenues per subscriber) up 3.8% versus the year-earlier quarter and up 1.7% sequentially; seventh consecutive quarter with a year-over-year increase in postpaid ARPU.
- 4.3 million postpaid 3G integrated wireless devices added to AT&T’s network, the largest quarterly increase in the company’s history; integrated device growth included 3.2 million iPhone activations, also the company’s largest quarterly total to date (integrated devices are handsets with QWERTY or virtual keyboards in addition to voice functionality).
- 33.6% increase in wireless data revenues to $3.6 billion, more than double the company’s total in the third quarter two years earlier, driven by growth in data plans and increased customer usage of Internet access, messaging and related services
- 240,000 net gain in AT&T U-verseSM TV subscribers — up from 232,000 added in the year-earlier third quarter — to reach 1.8 million in service, with continued high broadband and voice attach rates.
- 18.7% growth in wireline IP data revenues driven by AT&T U-verse expansion and growth in advanced business products; 16.6 percent growth in revenues from strategic business services such as Ethernet, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), hosting and application services.
- $9.7 billion cash from operating activities in the third quarter and $25.5 billion year to date; free cash flow of $5.5 billion in the quarter and $13.9 billion year to date, up from $7.9 billion in the first three quarters of 2008 (free cash flow is cash from operating activities minus capital expenditures).