Tutorial: Non-Devs Can Also Easily Update to iOS 5 Right Now
Well, that didn’t take long. A few easy steps will get iOS 5 onto your device(s) of choice in no time, regardless of whether you have a developer account or not. In case you need a refresher, iOS 5 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, along with the third and fourth-generation iPod touch. If you want the shiny new version of iOS a few months early, read on.
Disclaimer: iOS 5 is currently in beta with months of development time left for polish, so there is no guarantee that this will be a stable release suitable for everyday usage. Though it is unlikely that problems will arise during installation, we cannot promise that updating will be a smooth process for everyone. Thus, follow this guide at your own discretion.
- Download the iOS 5 beta update file. While we cannot host the file on our site or link to it for legal reasons, a quick Google search will point you in the right direction.
- By clicking the “Check for Updates” button in iTunes while simultaneously holding the option key (shift on PC) after connecting your device, you will be able to navigate to the file that you just downloaded and select to install it on a compatible iOS device.
- After your device boots into iOS 5 for the first time, activate Voice Over by triple-clicking the home button. The purpose of this step along with the next four are so standard activation can be bypassed.
- Triple-click the home button again for “Emergency Call” to show up.
- Tap on “Emergency Call” then immediately swipe three fingers down the screen to bring up one of the reasons why you’re following this guide: Notifications Center.
- Tap on the Weather widget within Notifications Center for the full Weather app.
- With one last home button click, you will be brought to the home screen.
That wasn’t difficult, was it? Now, go try iOS 5 and let us know your experience in the comments!
Gizmodo had received a tip from a developer who has cracked the proverbial code preventing regular users from using and installing the iOS 5 beta onto compatible iOS devices, leading to the creation of this tutorial.