TomTom 1.3 Update Released, Includes Traffic, Google Local Search, More
Today TomTom released another impressive update for its iPhone app, including optional traffic updates (via in-app purchase) plus a slew of new features, such as Google local search, pinch to zoom, automatic day/night mode, and music fading for voice directions. The update is free to existing users, and the app is now $30 cheaper for U.S. and Canada.
The list of new features follows the break.
- Powered by Google, search the local area for places of interest, which is a fancy way of saying, “Find the closest McDonald’s.”
- Pinch to zoom for a more detailed map view, something iPhone users have come to expect on every app.
- Automatic music fading, much like the native phone app, decreases the music volume during turn-by-turn directions then slowly fades back up when the directions are complete.
- Automatic day/night mode that adjusts the screen brightness based on local sunrise and sunset times, a common feature in traditional navigation systems.
- Add to TomTom, allowing users to import locations from other iPhone apps and save on the TomTom app.
- A map update, advertised to be the most accurate map and contain more roads than any competing navigation system.