Mother Sues Apple, Employees, After iPod Touch Explodes In Son’s Pants

The mother of a child in Cincinnati is suing Apple and the 10 employees that sold her an iPod Touch for her son after the device allegedly exploded in his pants pocket while he sat in school, burning through his cloths and inflicting some serious burns. The mother is seeking $75,000 in compensatory damages and $75,000 in punitive damages and attorney fees.

As the story goes, the boy was simply sitting in school with the device in the “off” position when it burst in his pocket and he felt a burning sensation. He stood and noticed that his pants were on fire.

“Plaintiff A.V. immediately ran to the bathroom and took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend,” reads the complaint. “On said date and at said time, the Apple iTouch had burned through Plaintiff A.V.’s pants pocket and melted through his nylon/spandex underwear, burning his leg.”

He immediately went to the doctor, who declared the boy had suffered second degree burns to his leg. “He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,” reads the lawsuit.

As Ars Technica points out, the melting point for the nylon his roughly 374 degrees Fahrenheit. A normally functioning iPod Touch could most likely never reach that temperature, but a flaming iPod Touch, as the accusation describes, certainly could.

[via Ars Technica]

View the comments on the forum…