iPhone 5 To Feature 8MP Camera

In April, Sony CEO Howard Stringer sparked 8 megapixel camera rumors for the iPhone 5 when he announced they would be handling camera sensor production for Apple, but he may have spoken too soon. On Thursday, DigiTimes reported that Sony will only be handling 10 percent of the order, with OmniVision handling the other 90 percent.

Apple may have turned away from Sony due to their Sendi, Japan plant being damaged in the earthquake. Stringer noted that Sony was facing difficulties getting its image sensors to customers like Apple because of the disaster.

DigiTimes also mentioned that wafer production is expected to increase 40 percent in the third quarter at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, which is OmniVision’s foundry partner. This supports rumors that the iPhone 5 will be released this Fall.

Last month, a leaked image showed that the 8MP camera and flash on the iPhone 5 would be farther apart to help reduce red eye and improve image quality.