iBookstore Takes a Shot at Barnes & Noble and Amazon, Offers Self Publishing Options
Apple has released information today on how to self-publish your book on the iBookstore. The requirements are not all that stringent, and the opportunity for aspiring authors to be in the iBookstore are unparalleled. You can sell your book in multiple countries, and even set the price per country. The financial agreement is similar to apps, with Apple retaining 30% of the sale price.
The basic requirements are being able to create an EPUB file that passes EpubCheck 1.0.5, and the ability to obtain a valid ISBN for each title. The full requirements are detailed below.
- An Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.5 or later
- At least 1 GB RAM
- QuickTime 7.0.3 or later. This is so you can encode and deliver content using our dedicated software.
- At least 10 GB of available hard drive space (more for larger catalogs) is recommended.
- A broadband internet connection with an upload rate of 128 kbps or faster is recommended.
Book Content Requirements:
- ISBNs for all titles you intend to distribute
- You must be able to deliver your book content in EPUB format, passing EpubCheck 1.0.5.
- A US Tax ID
- A valid iTunes Store account, with a credit card on file
- Apple does not pay partners until they meet payment requirements and earning thresholds in each territory. You should consider this before applying to work directly with Apple as you may receive payments faster by working with an Apple-approved aggregator.
Apple recommends you use an aggregator to help you get started, and even provides a list of approved aggregators.