Apple Announces iPhone OS 3.1 Update, Available Now
After much anticipation, Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone OS 3.1 software update at the “Rock and Roll” media event on Wednesday, September 9th. The new firmware, a free download for iPhone OS 3.0 users, adds the following fixes and changes:
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos.
- iTunes U content organization.
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store.
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store.
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll.
- Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS.
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on.
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe.
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets.
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad.
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS.
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing).
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling.
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly.
The update is available today and can be downloaded and installed via iTunes by attaching your iPod or iPod touch, opening the device window in iTunes and clicking the “Check for Update” button.
Stay tuned to iPhone Alley for additional details as they become available.