2.1 Software Update Released [Updated With Changes]
Time to update those iPhones, everybody! Just as Steve promised, Software update 2.1 has been released. According to the Jobs, the update should solve most of the problems users have been having with the 2.x software so far, including crashing and poor reception quality.
The update is described as containing bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
- Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls
- Significantly better battery life for most users
- Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- Faster installation of 3rd party applications
- Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
- Improved performance in text messaging
- Faster loading and searching of contacts
- Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
- Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation
It looks like our friend Felipe was right when he told us about the security feature in 2.1 last night that lets you tell the iPhone/iPod touch to automatically wipe all data after 10 failed passcode attempts.
You can download and install the new update by connecting your iPhone to iTunes and clicking the Update button. Details and instructions on installing the update are available at Apple.com.
NOTE: iTunes 8 is required to download the 2.1 update, according to the site. You can download it here if you haven’t already, or just update through iTunes.
Let us know what you notice with the update in the comments!
Update: What we’ve noticed so far:
- Significantly improved reception (my iPhone went from having no service anywhere in my neighborhood to having 1-2 bars in my house, which rocks, btw)
- The screenshot feature now makes a camera shutter noise
- Typing on the keyboard is much smoother
- App downloads can now be paused by tapping on them
- Updated apps now stay in the same spot they were put in before they were updated
- You can now triple-click the mic button on the iPhone earbuds to go to the previous song.