New Google Maps App Downloaded 10 Million Times
Apple Maps, the Cupertino-based company’s mapping solution, has received a countless amount of criticism since its simultaneous launch along with iOS 6 back in September. Users have bashed Apple for the lack of transit directions, bugs that severely distort maps and more, which have all collectively rendered the app almost useless. Google Maps, recently launched in the App Store and, apparently, the need for a noteworthy alternative to Apple Maps was glaring – evident by the whopping 10 million (and counting) downloads the app has received since its debut on the App Store just 48 hours ago.
According to a short Google+ blog post, on behalf of Jeff Huber, the iOS iteration of Google Maps was received extremely well into the App Store. Since its release just a mere 48 hours ago, the app has totaled a massive 10 million downloads – a number that is continuously growing.
Google Maps for iPhone: More than 10 million downloads in less than 48 hours!Thanks for the enthusiastic reception.goo.gl/Jvzwm
— Jeff Huber (@jhuber) December 17, 2012
From the post:
We’re excited for the positive reception of Google Maps for iPhone around the world. Congratulations to the Maps Team on the recognition for the passion and hard work they poured into it, for this release and over the last 7+ years.
If you already have it – thank you, and please tell a friend. Any feedback you have is welcomed, here in G+ or in the app (just shake it).
by Google, Inc.
This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad
Users were furious over the recurring issues that were present in the glitch-plagued version of Apple Maps. The continued criticism on behalf of iOS 6 users inspired an overall restructuring of Apple’s team of software developers as well as a public apology from Apple’s CEO Tim Cook recommending that users find a temporary alternative to Apple Maps. Google definitely took this as a cue, and Google Maps was released onto the App Store two days ago.
Google Maps’ features:
* Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
* Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
* Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
* Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
* Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
* Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
* View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
* See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
* View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
* An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
* Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
* Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.
You can check out Google Maps for free on the App Store.